Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Reason to Rejoice

You already know about my altoholic-ism, right? I think that also extends to the want I have to play many games. I have to stop right here and wonder if I'll ever truly grow up, lmao!!

I have a PC that's about five years old and a MacBook Pro that's about 2 1/2 years old. Hardly any of the guts of my PC are the original parts. I've replaced things like memory and video cards as they've become outdated. Even so, or maybe because of this, it sucks. I can't do ANYthing on it anymore. When I play games, any game at all, I get about 10-20 minutes of play time before I get the blue screen of death. The other day, after letting it sit dormant for a couple months, I decided to give it another try. While wandering about Pandaria, my cat escaped out the window and onto the roof. During the ten minutes it took me to get him off the roof and back into the house, my computer crashed. I sit back down, winded, irritated, and dirty only to see a blue screen. Talk about frustration. I've tried troubleshooting the issue and can't find anything useful on the net. I bought a new vid card, upgraded Windows, blah blah. I'm thinking it's a motherboard issue.

During all the PC downtime, I've been playing WoW on my Mac. It's an ok solution if you don't have an alternative. But the sound sucks (my PC has speakers that'll knock your socks off), the screen is small, the mouse is inadequate, and I have to turn the graphics almost all the way down just so my frame rate will go about 10 fps. Plus, playing on a Mac means absolutely no GW2 since they don't have a Mac client and the frame rate on D3 is so bad I can't function.

Yesterday, I finally broke down and bought a new computer. I put it off for a good two years. Going back to the growing up thing, I feel pretty silly buying a new computer just so that I can play games on it. When it comes to school and business, I do everything on my Mac. So seriously, a new PC's use will be about 99% game play. I rationalized finally making this purchase because my kids like to play the Sims and we don't have a computer capable of handling that game anymore.

I would put my new build on here but I'd probably get made fun of, lol. Despite the fact that I bought a gaming PC, I still went mid-range on components because I can't justify spending much over $1000 on it. It meets and exceeds the minimum requirements for both WoW and The Sims 3 and that was my bottom line. All in all, I can't wait for next week to get here when it gets delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You've come this far...